Friday, February 12, 2010

In debating liberal Christians with modern theological ideas, don't you think THIS is the best question to ask?

I talk to people with all sorts of theologies. Many are very liberal and take much of the Bible as metaphorical, allegory, etc. And there are many different views regarding what or who God is and who Jesus is.





One question, if answered, in my mind, resolves a lot of issues:





';What happens to us after we die';?








Because you answer to this says a lot about your personal theology.





Doesn't it?In debating liberal Christians with modern theological ideas, don't you think THIS is the best question to ask?
Yes. A person's answer to that question tells you who is saved, and who isn't. It eliminates the arguments about what is necessary to be saved. For, the only belief necessary to be saved is that Jesus, who is God, died for our sins on the cross and rose from the dead, and by this belief we are eternally secure.





It is important to be right about other things, but the other things aren't matters of eternal heaven or hell.In debating liberal Christians with modern theological ideas, don't you think THIS is the best question to ask?
For me, the more important question is, ';What do you believe the nature of Deity is?';





Asking that question will at least give you a good idea of how educated and open-minded the other person is, so you might have a foundation for debate. Granted, asking what happens after we die would give similar information.





Asking what happens to us after we die seems to me an adjunct to that. My personal answer would be, ';Our bodies decompose. I don't know what happens to our minds.';





In spiritual terms, I think that our minds rejoin 'God' if we are capable of feeling love--but I have no basis for that belief.
Yeah, of course you could still get metaphorical answers. Bill Craig was debating John Crossan one time, and he pressed him on the issue of God's existence. Crossan kept avoiding the question. Finally, Craig asked, ';During the Jurassic period, did God exist?'; Crossan said, ';Meaningless question,'; but he eventually admitted that he didn't think God existed in any objective sense. God was just a theological construct that Crossan superimposed on the universe. ';God'; for Crossan is just a way of looking at the universe, but apart from anybody looking at the universe that way, God doesn't exist.
Because I fought tooth and nail to become a Catholic, I just say ';I am a Catholic, a real, believing Catholic'; And if they have a problem, they have it with the Church and not with me. I know what is essential and what isn't.





In things essential, unity; in doubtful, liberty; in all things, charity. ST AUGUSTINE
Oh, who knows. There are states of being. Dead is one of them. Alive here in the flesh is another. The spirit does not die, so there is also Heaven with spirits and Hell with spirits. The spirits of the dead are sleeping. They know nothing of what is going on. I'd like to skip that and go right to Heaven.
OK, I am a liberal Christian. I do think much of the Bible is metaphorical and allegory. God is the creator of all things. Jesus is God in human flesh. God became flesh and dwelt amongst us. What happens after we die is


We go to be with God.


Absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.


We are refined and purified For He is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap.



Not if you don't mind replies full of Bible quotes or the Bible says or you gotta have faith and other crap like that
I agree kool Aid. Excellent post. God bless !
I need to get a life size cross that I can carry around on Halloween because I am going to be Jesus on Good Friday...where can I get on?
we will stop breathing and get buried first.....then await judgment or quickening...

No comments:

Post a Comment